Ivan Turgenev, literary master 1818-1883
Where we we? I was carted off to hospital with pneumonia over Christmas and New Year, but now I’m better.
Bullet point news:
- We live in hopes of discussing Turgenev with our Russian partners in October.
- The poinsettia that Masha Bond gave me last November is still alive with red bracts - this is surely a record.
- I am reading the Maisky diaries and Vladimir Sharov’s The Rehearsals translated by Oliver Ready next after ‘The Triumph of Christianity’ by Bart Ehrman
- I have nearly finished translating the collected correspondence 1974-1988 between the Russian icon painter Julia Reitlinger (1898-1988) and her spiritual father Alexander Men’ (1935-1988), whom I met five months before he was murdered. I have 30pp to go. My generous guest editor Dr Jonathan Sutton is coming up soon so that we can look at difficult bits together.
- Sarah Hughes of the Courtauld Institute has been helping with the art history side of things.
As of the time of writing, the sun is out.