Wednesday 24 August 2011

Ruby Wax

I went to Ruby Wax's show in Edinburgh yesterday (Udderbelly E4 in Bristo Square) and would highly recommend it. A packed audience appreciated both the message - that mental illness, such as the disabling depressions Ruby herself suffers from episodically, is poorly handled socially, attracting less understanding and sympathy than if you break your leg or get cancer, - and the wit used to put the message across. Ruby is a skilled and dynamic performer, ably supported by Judith Owens at the piano whose songs provide a counterpoint to Ruby's hilarious, angry and sad commentary. I now have five books on the stocks: How to be a Woman by Caitlin Moran; To the River by Olivia Laing; where we were going and what we were doing (sic) by Damion Searls; The Masque of Africa by V S Naipaul; Guerillas, also by VSN. This is wrong. I should read one book at a time. I need to practice time management and 'mindfulness', as recommended by Ms R Wax. Today I have sent proposals to Scottish publishers for my new book, about going from one deeply unpopular activity (occupation of a commercial spruce plantation) to another: installation of three vast wind turbines. Am I bovvered? You'll have to read the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment